Monday, January 17, 2011

Sabriel Memoirs

by Jackson Daneluk


Be inside by nightfall. Lock all doors and windows. Deny entry to strangers. Prepare candles and lanterns for when the electricity fails. If caught outdoors, find running water…


On December 20th, 21st, and 22nd ten bold teenagers and I set out to make an epic movie trailer. I only knew a handful of crew members at the beginning, but now I know each individual. I have to say that having so many different personalities on set was amazing. I give my respect and highest regards to everyone. They all sacrificed one to three days of their Christmas break to help make this production possible, and they never once complained about the freezing temperatures, the rain, or the snow (okay, maybe I’m exaggerating the truth a little…).


Those three days were filled with adventure, mystery, hardship, magic, special effects, and a little bit of blood…every kid’s dream! We traveled to many fantastic places that few knew resided in their own backyards. Day turned to night, and the moon lit the mist. Sabriel took on a life of its own.


Everyone worked so hard to make it the days a success. Lunch took the form of pizza, and refreshments were provided in the form of hot chocolate. I think I owed everyone at least that much.


At the end of each day I had to look back and realize that some of the shots we made were just downright amazing. Here are just a few of my favorite scenes…


Kerrigor with fire behind him: this scene was just fun to shoot. Imagine this, a fire in a fire pit, and a can of gasoline, you do the math. Now imagine that behind an ominous, dark figure. I smile every time. Kerrigor, played by Jared Haviland, has a perfectly ominous and dark feel behind him. Thanks to Marshall Harper who helped me with the gasoline.


Dead Montage: Oh my gosh, I love this scene. I can just imagine the dramatic drums crashing behind the images of Sabriel (played by Carrie Jacobs) and Touchstone (played by Isaac Hanson) looking around anxiously, knowing that dozens of revived souls inhabiting dead bodies are hiding in the houses that surround them, waiting for night to fall, and peering out from behind the shutters of windows. For those who were there they will remember a certain “shriek” that Karl Southwick performed, while Jessie Sume held her face before the camera to play the role of a Dead person.


One by one: My depiction of the book’s horror story chapter. A girl (played by Carly Lortz) knows that she and her town are doomed, knows that the Dead will pick them off, one by one, unless Sabriel (Carrie), the Abhorsen, can save them. This scene gives me shivers just thinking about it. “Will Abhorsen save us from the Dead?” ~ Elder of Nestowe (played by Ian Lucas)


And finally, the scene that made everybody laugh…


He is Dead: Sabriel is told that her father is dead. I know you’re wondering where the humor is in it. Well imagine a stuffed cat telling her the news. Now imagine it bobbing back and forth. (Yeah, you kind of had to be there, but it was still one of my favorites.)


Just of few of my favorites, but in all honestly I love the entire thing.


Last but not least, I’m sorry that I froze everyone half to death!

No comments:

Post a Comment